Skip to main content

something from the archives: say goodbye - part 51

to start from the beginning click on the links 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930,  31323334353637383940414243444546474849, and 50.

part 51 follows the jump...





Part 51

That night they ate dinner in silence. Everything that had happened to them during that day was just barely sinking in.

The silence was driving Michael crazy. He was so frightened.

He had just lost the man he’d always considered a brother. In a death that was as horrible as it was amazing. Because with it he had been granted life, freedom, and love. And it was unbearable.
Even worse, he had no idea what the two people he had come to consider surrogate parents were thinking of him. If they’d even let him marry their daughter. Why’d they want a fucked-up alien like him in their family was beyond him.

But he couldn’t approach the subject. He didn’t want to hear the rejection he knew he’d receive just yet.

He knew he wouldn’t be able to make it through the next week without Liz. Without her love. And yet, it seemed like he might have to.

“How’d you know?” Nancy asked abruptly.

“Pardon?”

“How’d you know you were aliens?”

“Mom! I hardly—"

“It’s okay Liz,” Michael interrupted his fiancée gently. He’d needed to hear these questions. “It was just a feeling at first. We came out of those pods and were scared, that’s my first memory of this planet. I was so scared; I hid from the Evans when they rescued Max and Isabel. And then there were the powers. We just knew we were different. It wasn’t until recently that any of us had any memories of our home planet.”

“It’s just so amazing. Claudia would have loved this, right Jeff?” Nancy asked her husband.

“Oh absolutely,” Jeff replied before continuing, “When I think of all the crazy stuff you kids have had to handle the past few years…”

“I want to apologize for that Jeff. We never wanted or meant to involve Liz in this mess.”

“Michael Guerin, I resent that!” Liz exclaimed crossing her arms and glaring at him from across the table.

“I’m with my daughter. Michael, if Max hadn’t involved Liz, she wouldn’t be eating dinner with us today. For that we’ll always be eternally grateful,” Nancy said, her voice catching.

“It was Max who chose to save her,” Michael shrugged.

“But you didn’t stop him,” Nancy pointed out.

Michael sighed, “I wished that I had sometimes.”

“But you didn’t really mean that sweetheart,” argued Liz sensing the guilt he was feeling. He was going to insist that he was in the wrong. He wanted to be blamed. He was sure he should be blamed.
Michael shrugged in reply.

“Michael, I won’t let you put yourself down. That you couldn’t protect Max from this; isn’t your fault. That you wanted to protect me from this; doesn’t make you an awful person. You never wanted me to die. You can’t control the way things turn out.”

“I know,” he sighed, “but I wish I could.”

“Son,” Jeff said, “I just want you to know that Nancy and I couldn’t be more thrilled to welcome you to the family. You’re a very special man, and now I know part of the reason why.”

“You might be in danger now,” Michael said.

“Doesn’t matter,” Nancy smiled, “you’re family now.”

Michael couldn’t stop the tears or the smile that Nancy’s words brought to his face. He stood from his chair and gave her a hug. He’d never really known a mother’s love, but for the first time in his life he could see how it felt.

He felt Jeff’s hand squeeze his shoulder, and Liz’s arms wrap around his waist. For the first time Michael had a real family.

*****

It had been a rough couple of days. The news had slowly spread about town and the group gathered at the Crashdown early Tuesday morning to prepare for the memorial service that would be held the following evening.

Maria had been devastated when she heard the news. And she joined Kyle, Isabel, Liz and Michael at the usual table. Not that a lot of talking had been done. Liz and Michael sat together quietly at the corner end, their hands linked together tightly. Kyle sat with his arm around Isabel who cried on his shoulder every time she tried to say what her family had planned. Maria sat crying with her arms about herself. An empty space remaining where Max used to sit.

Finally Isabel managed to compose herself enough to manage to speak. In a voice hoarse with tears she said, “We talked to Brody on Sunday. He’s going to let us use the Planetarium for the memorial service. We’re all allowed to speak if we want to. But no pressure.”

Michael reached out with his free hand and grasped Isabel’s as she burst into another round of sobs. “This is so hard. I never thought he’d leave me.”

“I know,” Michael whispered soothingly.

“You’re not alone Princess, he didn’t leave you alone,” Kyle said.

“I know. But I still want him here.”

“We all do, Isabel. I just wish I’d been there for him. For you. I can’t believe what you guys had to go through…I’m so sorry I’ve been selfish,” Maria said her voice cracking on a wave of tears.

“Oh chica, we understood. Max most of all,” Liz said as she hugged her friend.

“I know, but it feels like I betrayed him somehow, by not being there for him, like Alex.”

Isabel moved to Maria’s side and hugged her too. “Maria, you were a great friend to my brother. He appreciated you. And you didn’t fail Alex. None of us did. We loved him. We loved the both of them. And they knew that.”

“Do you really think so?” asked Maria shakily.

“Yeah I do,” Isabel replied.

Michael and Kyle watched the three girls as they hugged and cried in each other’s arms. Suddenly slamming his fist on the table, Kyle startled the entire group. “I’m sorry,” he apologized, “I need some air.” He stood and stalked away from the group, Michael looked after him a moment before turning to the girls.

“I think I’ll follow him,” he said as he stood from his seat.

The girls nodded and watched them leave. It was easier for them to express their grief. The boys needed privacy. And their relationships with Max had been so much more complex.

*****

Michael approached Kyle from behind. “You okay man?” he asked.

“Yeah. I’m just fucking mad.”

“Yeah,” Michael said feelingly.

“I need to do something. Anything. Watching Isabel hurt is killing me.”

“I know. I hate this sentimental shit. I have no idea what I’m doing. Want to shoot some hoops?” Michael asked.

Kyle stared at him a moment before nodding his agreement. “Yeah man, that’s perfect. It’s all a game isn’t it?” he said as they started walking towards the park.

“Yeah. How is it that we got so fucking lucky though?”

“Isabel and Liz? I have no idea man. I feel like I cheated.”

“Yeah. But I was always better at basketball than Max.”

“Alex couldn’t shoot a basket to save his life.”

“But they were cool.”

“They were better than us.”

“Yeah. You feel guilty too huh?”

“Yeah,” Kyle paused a moment before adding, ”Should we tell them?”

“Nah, they’ll find us later. They need to hug and cry and be together.”

“Dude, that the last thing I want to see.”

“That’s why we’re playing.”

Kyle nodded, “I hated him so much.”

“So did I,” Michael said.

“I hated that at some moment in time I grew to respect him, I even liked him. I didn’t want to. But at some point he became my friend. I don’t understand why he’s dead.”

“Me either. Maxwell irritated the hell out of me. He was always goddamn right. I was the screw-up. Except Max fucked up too. But he was my brother. And I don’t fucking understand why he did what he did. What gave him the right to decide what was best? Not the fact that he was the King of Antar in some other life none of us really remembers? I loved him. And I’m afraid he didn’t know that.”

“He did man. And he did what he did out of love.”

“Always making it a point to be goddamn perfect huh?”

“Yeah. I’m going to miss the hell out of him.”

“Me too. I’m going to miss him.”

Kyle nodded surveying the empty court at the park before saying, “Dude, we forgot to get a ball.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

simply catching up on all things general hospital

hmmm, it's been months since i've blogged about gh . partly this is due to the fact that i fell behind while i was traveling. partly because all the outrage lapsed into disinterest when i realized i couldn't bring myself to care anymore and everything that was happening was just so trite and boring. some days i still feel that way. and there are still whole storylines that i either hate or just fast forward through. but there are some good things too. in no particular order, here are my thoughts on the goings-on in port charles: 1. soras [and why re-casting roles works on soaps even if you do miss the original actors]: the new, older versions of sonny's kids are turning out to be quite enjoyable. [although hilariously, cameron whom i believe is older than molly is now younger. and because cameron is so cute, i'm kind of hoping they won't fix that. we also haven't seen spencer in ages, so he may be approaching 50.] in any case, at this point we've only s

genre debate: urban fantasy versus epic fantasy: team epic gets their say

Team Epic: Why I Love Epic Fantasy! Since it's my blog, I'll go first: Epic fantasies take you on quests that take you beyond the limits of what is real. The rules can be different, they are different, and everything just matters more. It's not just one life at stake, it's lives, it's a whole world, a whole way of being. Epic fantasies force you to use your imagination and take you on an adventure to places you never thought possible, but as different as everything feels, there are still things that are always real, no matter how you write it. Keep reading to see what a handful of Entangled TEEN authors think about epic fantasies: Erica Cameron - Island of Exiles (The Ryogan Chronicles, #1): Why do I love epic fantasy? It's a blank slate. We can erase all of our preconceived notions of society and law and even science, throwing all of that over the side of a cliff. Epic fantasy lets us push humanity well past the breaking point with ever

simply a preview of the forbidden by jodi ellen malpas

Releasing on August 8, 2017, read on for more information about The Forbidden , including an excerpt and giveaway! Synopsis What do you do when you can't control your feelings for someone? When you know you shouldn't go there? Not even in your head.  Annie has never experienced the 'spark' with a guy-the kind of instant chemistry that steals your breath and blindsides you completely. Until a night out with friends brings her face to face with the wickedly sexy and mysterious Jack. It's not just a spark that ignites between them. It's an explosion. Jack promises to consume Annie, and he fully delivers on that promise. Overwhelmed by the intensity of their one night together, Annie slips out of their hotel room. She is certain that a man who's had such a powerful impact on her and who could bend her to his will so easily, must be dangerous. But she's already in too deep. And Jack isn't only dangerous. He is forbidden.